Teaching the Classics: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Giveaway!)

With so many exciting, new titles published each year, it’s common for teachers to debate the relevance of the classics to today’s students. Are these books still relevant? Do they represent our world as it looks today?
Answers to these questions are mixed—and hardly definitive. But with many classics topping this list of Teachers’ Top 100 […]

By |November 30th, 2017|Chapter Books|0 Comments

Redefining Hi/Lo Books for the Digital Age

There is no doubt we live in a visual world. Our activities are driven by tablets and phones. Our students are growing up with unlimited content at their fingertips. Clearly, we are educating students for a future that will be much different than ours.
Literacy Skills for the 21st Century
Much of the content students get each […]

By |October 20th, 2017|Favorite New Titles|0 Comments

17 Books for Readers Who Love Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Keep scrolling to the bottom of this post to enter for a chance to bring another popular middle grade series, the Dork Diaries, to your classroom!

With a total of eleven (soon to be twelve!) books in the series, four Hollywood film adaptations and millions of loyal fans, Jeff Kinney’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid books […]

By |October 6th, 2017|Chapter Books|9 Comments

Comics in the Classroom: Making a Place for Graphic Novels

Just a few short years ago, graphic novels were welcomed into the classroom. Long gone are the days when they were not considered “real” reading. While there may still be some curmudgeonly hold-outs that shun this format, numerous studies have proven their place in the classroom is well-deserved. Graphic novels can increase reading comprehension, support […]

By |September 22nd, 2017|Graphic Novels|1 Comment

Thinking Outside the Chapter Book

It always puzzles and saddens me a little when an adult acts apologetic to me about their reading habits. I often get “I don’t like to read, I just read magazines,” or “I’m not much of a reader, I just read books like Twilight.” There is an assumption that, because I teach reading, I believe […]

By |August 25th, 2017|Graphic Novels|0 Comments

9 Books for Getting Students Excited About the Total Solar Eclipse

On August 21st, Americans will be treated to a rare cosmic phenomenon: a total solar eclipse that can be seen from coast to coast.  Even those outside the path of the total eclipse will experience a partial solar eclipse. Check out these maps from NASA to determine what kind of eclipse you can see at […]

By |August 8th, 2017|STEM|0 Comments

Build a Positive Classroom Culture With The Rainbow Fish and Other Back-to-School Read Alouds

With big picture themes about friendship, empathy and kindness, Marcus Pfister’s The Rainbow Fish (Grades K-2, Lexile AD 410, Level M) is a delightful picture book about the value of sharing and generosity. And we’ve partnered with Simon & Schuster to give away four Rainbow Fish gift baskets in honor of the 25th anniversary of this […]

By |July 28th, 2017|Seasonal|0 Comments

6 Picture Book Biographies About Women in STEM

Association For Women In Science (AWIS) reports that while women make up 47% of the total workforce in the US, they hold only 26% of the positions in STEM fields. So why should we care? Individuals in STEM careers are solving big problems, developing technologies we use daily and setting the tone for what our […]

By |June 13th, 2017|STEM|1 Comment

New Loving vs. Virginia Novel Revisits An Important Piece of American History

2017 marks the 50th anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court Case Loving vs. Virginia, which legalized interracial marriage in the United States. Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case (7-12, Z+, HL720) is a beautifully written account of the marriage of Richard and Mildred Loving that details their fight to […]

By |June 9th, 2017|Favorite New Titles|0 Comments

25+ Must-Have Books and Series to Engage Reluctant Readers

Research shows that access to books improves reading performances (Lindsay, 2010). But access is much more than just having books available on a shelf, especially when it comes to books for reluctant readers. Access means having the right books available and easy to find for every student in your class. Some students have a more […]

By |May 12th, 2017|Favorite New Titles|4 Comments