How Are Educators Teaching Social Emotional Learning? See Our SEL Survey Results!

We
asked, and you answered!! We had an overwhelming response from the
administrators and curriculum personnel we surveyed to gauge opinions on and
reception of most everything SEL related. Here’s what we found:

70%
of Respondents are teaching SEL topics already!

It
isn’t easy to figure out and implement a plan for tackling these potentially
tricky topics, but you’re doing it!! We’re so […]

By |August 29th, 2019|Subjects + Themes|1 Comment

Why Books Are a Natural Medium for Teaching Social Emotional Learning Skills

SEL is no longer relegated strictly to counselor’s offices—in many cases it has now become an added responsibility for classroom teachers, but there do not seem to be a lot of guidelines or information for how this should be implemented. There are many who feel that these concepts should be integrated into other components of […]

By |July 31st, 2019|Book Lists + Recommendations|1 Comment

10 of Our Favorite Picture Books That Show All Families Are Different

While traditional family holidays like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are celebrated in many schools, today’s students come from increasingly diverse and non-traditional families. Do the books in your classroom reflect this wide variety of family structures so students from all different types of families feel recognized and understood?

No matter what your family looks […]

By |May 10th, 2019|Picture Books|2 Comments

Poetry Lesson Game Changers: The Irreplaceable Role of Novels in Verse

Teacher Amber McMath, who teaches 7th grade language arts by day and blogs at I’m That Teacher by night, recently spent time researching and sharing novels in verse with her students and blog followers. Here, she shares how the experience impacted her personally, plus why she believes novels in verse are so important to teach. […]

By |April 5th, 2019|Book Lists + Recommendations|0 Comments

25 Nonfiction Books About Women in History That Every Classroom Needs

March is Women’s History Month, which means it’s the perfect time to highlight and celebrate the achievements of extraordinary women. We’ve rounded up some of our favorite nonfiction titles about influential female figures (and even them organized by category), so you can easily find new informational texts about important women in history to add to […]

By |March 26th, 2019|Book Lists + Recommendations|0 Comments

Rethinking the Literary Canon for Today’s Learners

Thank you to educational consultant and high school English teacher Jacqueline Stallworth for sharing her thoughts on how the books we choose to teach (or not teach) can profoundly impact today’s learners.

Recently, I was cycling with a man who graduated from high school in 1976, and he fondly told me about his high school English teacher who […]

By |September 11th, 2018|Chapter Books|4 Comments

6 Ways to Help Students Build A “What to Read Next” List

How do you help students who claim they have nothing to read? Thanks to 7th grade teacher Amber McMath for this guest post, sharing the strategies she uses to ensure that students always have ideas for titles to read next!

I need to go to the bathroom.

That sound outside is annoying.

My dog ate my book.

She’s bothering […]

By |September 7th, 2018|Book Lists + Recommendations|0 Comments

Our 6 Favorite Children’s and YA Books of Spring 2018

Spring is the perfect season to update your classroom library with exciting, recently published titles. But with so many new amazing books published each month, it can be hard to keep up! Fortunately, our title experts are dedicated to reading and researching classroom literature from hundreds of publishers. Recommending the best titles for teachers and […]

By |April 6th, 2018|Favorite New Titles|0 Comments

Teens Leading the Charge: 25 Books To Inspire and Empower Young People

Young people give us hope. Young people who don’t give up or give in; who have loud voices and the courage to use them to say enough is enough. Young people whose empathy, compassion and sense of justice in the face of violence, oppression and tragedy is humbling.

We are book people. We’re lucky enough to […]

By |March 5th, 2018|Subjects + Themes|1 Comment

The Best Books for Classroom Libraries: 40 Top Titles of 2017

With such amazing new children’s literature published each year, it can be difficult to know which titles are the best to include in your classroom library. That’s why we’re here! Finding the books that resonate with young readers—the books that keep them on the edge of their seats, the laugh-out-loud funny ones and the powerful stories […]

By |December 8th, 2017|Favorite New Titles|3 Comments