Boost Motivation AND Comprehension with Read Alouds: Lori Ozkus Shares 3 Super Ideas That Work

By Lori Oczkus, Booksource Advocate

Students of all ages enjoy being read aloud to. Picture kindergarteners rambunctiously chiming in on each rhyming page of Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw and third graders howling with laughter as their teacher reads the description of Stuart Little’s classroom teaching antics from E.B. White’s classic treasure. Now imagine […]

By |September 9th, 2014|Comprehension Strategies|0 Comments

Hook Readers with Short Passages

By Penny Kittle, Author and Founder of Book Love Foundation

I talk about books every day in my classroom. It’s my daily chance to romance readers, to challenge readers, to sell all the possibilities stacked upon the shelves in my room. Sometimes students listen to me read a short, dynamic passage. Sometimes I show a book […]

By |May 29th, 2014|Reading/Writing Workshop|0 Comments

A Shared Understanding of the Process of Reading (An Excerpt from Guided Reading: The Romance and the Reality)

By Irene C. Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell

Some teachers have learned to be satisfied with their students simply reading accurately. This practice has led to pushing students up levels without evidence of their control of the competencies that enable them to think within, beyond, and about texts at each level. The goal of the guided […]

By |May 21st, 2014|Guided Reading|0 Comments

Reading Workshop: Is It Alive in the Era of Common Core State Standards?

By Phyllis Cook, Retired Elementary Teacher

As we infuse more of the standards into our daily lesson plans, classroom teachers may be getting mixed messages in the media about what really is best practice. Decades of research have clearly laid the groundwork for some common sense practices such as:

Identify what the child knows and move forward.
Acknowledge […]

By |May 15th, 2014|Reading/Writing Workshop|0 Comments