Bring the 2016 Election into the Classroom with These KidLit Candidates

No matter which side of the aisle you are on, the 2016 elections will have everyone talking! Students will likely have questions about what is going on. Luckily there are some great books out there to explain the political process in a light-hearted, bi-partisan way. We’ve rounded up some of our favorites—guaranteed to inform and […]

By |December 28th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments

Text Sets: Your Answer to Content, Vocabulary and Comprehension

I was buying some books to send to my cousin’s preschoolers this week. She lives 2000 miles away, so I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time with her boys. I asked her if they had any favorite authors or series, and as expected she said they both love Mo Willems. And who […]

By |December 9th, 2015|Comprehension Strategies|1 Comment

8 Content Area Activities that Use Real Books

Sometimes students and teachers alike forget that reading can take place across the curriculum. So we asked past and present teachers to let us know their favorite lessons and content area activities that were supported by real books. Here’s what they had to say!

1. “When I taught Pre-K, my favorite go-to lesson for color mixing […]

By |December 8th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments

Reading Comes to Life in the Content Areas

Reading is a vital communication skill that connects us to other people, other places and other times. It also expands our knowledge beyond what we can touch or see. Yet, teaching reading comprehension can be a difficult and time consuming undertaking, and for that reason, reading comprehension skills have often been taught in isolation, either […]

By |November 10th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments

The Heart of Literacy, Part 2: Small Group Instruction

In The Heart of Literacy: Independent Reading, I promised to share ideas for quality strategic small group instruction and whole class instruction to accompany, not replace, independent reading.

Independent reading is the foundation on which the entire day, or year, is based. Without having that core, no other element will fall into place. And as I […]

By |November 5th, 2015|Book Clubs + Lit Circles|0 Comments

Turn Bullies into Besties: Read Alouds for a Classroom 180

I love school. I mean, love love school. I always have.

Although to be honest, I was never the cool kid. I think my bad haircut, over-sized earrings and banana yellow high-tops (I know!) kept me safely out of that category. However, I had a close group of friends, felt connected to many of my teachers […]

By |September 23rd, 2015|Read Alouds|1 Comment

The Heart of Literacy: The Research on Independent Reading

I was able to work with Pam Allyn on a project a while back, and of the many wonderful things she said, one thing in particular stood out: Accountable independent reading is the heart of balanced literacy. There was something about the words “accountable” and “heart” that impacted me.

At first we might think of accountability […]

By |September 16th, 2015|Independent Reading|7 Comments

8 Reasons Read Alouds Are Perfect Every Day for Any Grade

If you ask adults about being read to as a child, the recollections conjured will vary greatly. Some may recall cozying up on a loved one’s lap and being whisked away on the adventure of a lifetime. For others, memories involve being cramped in an uncomfortable desk while a teacher or classmate reads a passage […]

By |September 2nd, 2015|Read Alouds|1 Comment

Read Alouds to Inspire Your Future Scientists

Next Generation Science Standards can come to life through read alouds. Bring reading into your science lessons and help your students build a mental picture of tough science concepts through the art of illustration and narrative text with these titles aligned to Next Generation Science Standards. Extend the lesson beyond the text with outside links […]

By |September 1st, 2015|Read Alouds|0 Comments

Two Birds, One Stone: Picture Book Read Alouds to Integrate Across the Curriculum

Read alouds can be a great vehicle to introduce lessons across the curriculum. They can help build background knowledge and provide a captivating hook to start a lesson. The right book—one with captivating and pertinent information that rolls nicely off the tongue—is the key to consolidating your educational efforts! Check out these new picture book […]

By |August 14th, 2015|Read Alouds|0 Comments