Reading aloud to children is one of the most important things adults can do. It builds foundational language skills, introduces vocabulary, provides a model of fluent, expressive reading and helps children recognize what reading for pleasure is all about.

Next time you’re looking for a great book to read aloud, try one of our favorites, from gentle picture books for little ones to poetry to exciting chapter books for kids who know how to read but enjoy having an intriguing story read to them.

FICTION

Alma and How She Got Her Name book cover

1. Alma And How She Got Her Name
by Juana Martinez-Neal

Interest level: P-3
If you ask her, Alma Sofia Esperanza Jose Pura Candela has way too many names: six! How did such a small person end up with such a large name? Alma turns to Daddy for an answer. As she hears the story of her name, Alma starts to think it might be a perfect fit after all.

Little Red Reading Hood and the Misread Wolf book cover

2. Little Red Reading Hood And The Misread Wolf
by Troy Wilson

Interest level: P-3
A retelling of the classic Little Red Riding Hood, starring our bookish heroine Red and a misunderstood, book-loving wolf desperate for a good story. This is the Misread Wolf, who’s desperate for a bedtime story and knows Little Red Reading Hood might be his only hope.

Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks book cover

3. Look Both Ways: A Tale Told In Ten Blocks
by Jason Reynolds

Interest level: 5-9
Jason Reynolds conjures ten tales (one per block) about what happens after the dismissal bell rings, and brilliantly weaves them into one wickedly funny, piercingly poignant look at the detours we face on the walk home and in life.

Nothing Rhymes with Orange book cover

4. Nothing Rhymes With Orange
by Adam Rex

Interest level: K-3
We all know nothing rhymes with orange. But how does that make Orange feel? Well, left out! Beloved author-illustrator Adam Rex has created a hilarious yet poignant parable about feeling left out, celebrating difference, and the irrefutable fact that nothing rhymes with orange.

Saturday book cover

5. Saturday
by Oge Mora

Interest level: P-3
Sometimes, the best plans don’t work out exactly the way you expect. In this heartfelt and universal story, a mother and daughter look forward to their special Saturday routine together, although, this Saturday, one thing after another goes wrong.

The Hero Next Door book cover

6. The Hero Next Door
by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich

Interest level: 3-7
Published in partnership with We Need Diverse Books, this vibrant anthology features thirteen acclaimed authors whose powerful and diverse voices show how small acts of kindness can save the day. So, pay attention, because a hero could be right beside you. Or maybe the hero is you.

NONFICTION

Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women book cover

7. Girls Think Of Everything: Stories Of Ingenious Inventions By Women
by Catherine Thimmesh

Interest level: 4-8
Tells the story of how women throughout the ages have responded to situations confronting them in daily life by inventing such items as correction fluid, space helmets and disposable diapers.

Rescue and Jessica: A Life-Changing Friendship book cover

8. Rescue And Jessica: A Life-Changing Friendship
by Jessica Kensky

Interest level: K-4
Based on a real-life partnership, the heartening story of the love and teamwork between a girl and her service dog will illuminate and inspire. Jessica needs Rescue by her side to help her accomplish everyday tasks.

The Undefeated book cover

9. The Undefeated
by Kwame Alexander

Interest level: P-4
Originally performed for ESPN’s The Undefeated, this poem is a love letter to black life in the United States. It highlights the unspeakable trauma of slavery, the faith and fire of the civil rights movement, and the grit, passion, and perseverance of some of the world’s greatest heroes.

Who Were the Tuskegee Airmen? book cover

10. Who Were The Tuskegee Airmen?
by Sherri L. Smith

Interest level: 3-7
The Tuskegee Airmen were a heroic group of African American military pilots who helped the United States win World War II. While this book details thrilling flight missions and the grueling training sessions the Tuskegee Airmen underwent, it also shines a light on the lives of these brave men who helped pave the way for the integration of the U.S. armed forces.

And 11 Runners-Up

There are so many books that make great read alouds! We seriously struggled to get the list to only ten, so here are our runners-up:

Wishtree by Katherine Applegate; Interest level: 3-7

Race To The Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse; Interest level: 3-7

Tristan Strong Punches A Hole In The Sky by Kwame Mbalia; Interest level: 3-7

Dragons At Crumbling Castle by Terry Pratchett; Interest level: 4-7

Going Down Home With Daddy by Kelly Starling Lyons; Interest level: K-3

One Fox by Kate Read; Interest level: P-K

Thank You, Omu! by Oge Mora; Interest level: P-3

The Word Collector by Peter H. Reynolds; Interest level: P-3

Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin; Interest level: P-2

We Don’t Eat Our Classmates! by Ryan T. Higgins; Interest level: P-K

The Princess In Black by Shannon Hale; Interest level: K-3

Do you have a favorite read aloud that we didn’t list? Tell us in the comments!