Speaking both literally and figuratively, the classroom library is at the center of everything you do with your students. Here are the reasons it’s worth taking the time to curate, catalogue, decorate and even furnish your space.

1. It’s the main location for classroom resources.

Making this area the go-to for any student needs is a no-brainer. In addition to your many books, this is the perfect place for housing supplies, equipment, audio players, computers, games, etc.

2. Students crave a comfy space to gather.

Just add a bean bag chair or two near your bookshelves and you’ll notice the rush to relax.

3. The checkout system you implement teaches life skills.

Allowing students to take and return books makes this the home of valuable lessons like how to care for property that isn’t your own and how to stay organized.

4. Bonds are created between students based on their reading experiences.

Providing a place to read means providing a place to react, discuss and find commonalities.

5. Books are part of your lessons.

Finding ways to incorporate your classroom library into every subject you teach keeps them reading and returning to the space on a daily basis.

6. Literacy is a building block of education.

Classroom libraries can have a great impact on the amount of time students spend reading, and as a result, boost performance in all areas of school.

7. It’s where students discover stories that shape the brand of confidence they use every day.

All it takes is one book—the right book—to open up the world and make a student feel both represented and ready to take on more.

Webinars: Starting and Refreshing a Classroom Library

We’ve been helping educators build classroom libraries for over 40 years, and we’ve learned a lot along the way.

During our webinar, Starting a Classroom Library, we touched on the importance of creating a literacy-rich environment and shared our favorite tips for getting started, selecting the right books and keeping it all organized. If you are in the beginning stages of setting up your own classroom library or building classroom libraries for your entire school or district, this webinar is for you!

CLICK TO REPLAY

During our webinar, Refreshing a Classroom Library, we showed off photos of real-life classroom library spaces for organization inspiration, gave favorite new title recommendations and taught easy-to-implement ideas for encouraging students to engage with your books. Perfect for anyone who needs to add new life to an existing library!

CLICK TO REPLAY