Eric Carle’s books have been a staple in my classroom and my family from the very beginning. My daughter’s first favorite book was Slowly, Slowly, Slowly,” said the Sloth (Grades P-1, Lexile 410). Barely crawling, she would dig through the book bin until she found that book and hold it up in the air like a prize. She liked listening to the cadence of the story and look at the simplistic, brightly colored pictures. As a Kindergarten teacher, The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Grades P-2, Level J, Lexile AD460) helped us to kick off the school year. Students made their very hungry [insects of their choice] eat through all kinds of different foods while experimenting with the hole punch.

The unique style of artwork in Eric Carle’s books make them easily identifiable and attract both children and adults. As an author, he uses simple concepts and connects his ideas to things that are interesting to children like nature, family and friendship. This combination makes his books timeless.

Exploring Eric Carle’s Works

This month, Eric Carle turns 87. Here are 5 activities for kids to help celebrate his birthday or to celebrate his stories throughout the year.

    1. Have students create an 8 page mini picture book with their very own illustrations

    1. Gather different types of paper and recreate characters from Eric Carle’s books with this guide

    1. Try moving like some of the animals mentioned in Eric Carle’s books. Check out these moves inspired by Baby Bear, Baby Bear

    1. Watch Eric Carle read The Very Hungry Caterpillar

  1. Gather the kids and film your own read aloud. Be sure to send us the link so we can share too!