The Book Love Foundation Announces 2016 Winnners

The Book Love Foundation is pleased to announce that it has awarded its 35th classroom library this year. Since 2013 the Book Love Foundation has given $141,000 in grants for books to classroom teachers. Ten libraries were awarded to middle and high school English Language Arts teachers from the United States and Canada in 2016.

We granted 500-book classroom libraries […]

By |June 23rd, 2016|Literacy News + Events|0 Comments

The Key of Communication: Opening Doors for Refugees and Immigrants through English Education

June 20th is World Refugee Day, and the plight of refugees is on many hearts and minds these days. The resettlement of refugees continues to enrich, shape and diversify many American communities. Often we forget that refugees face new obstacles once they reach these safe havens: how are they supposed to communicate and build a […]

By |June 17th, 2016|Literacy News + Events|0 Comments

Booksource Kids Celebrate Their Teachers

Teaching is one of the most selfless professions out there. Teachers love and care for our children, spending hours with them each day, while spending countless hours deciding how to best prepare them for life and success, often at home on their own time and with their own money. Weekend fun is usually sacrificed for […]

By |May 2nd, 2016|Literacy News + Events|0 Comments

Join the World Read Aloud Day Movement

February 24th is World Read Aloud Day, and on that day something extraordinary will happen. People across the country and around the world will come together at home, at school, at work and in their communities to read aloud. From the northernmost part of Alaska to Myanmar to southern New Zealand and everywhere in between, […]

By |February 12th, 2016|Literacy News + Events|7 Comments

Summer Writing Institute Prepares Educators for Classroom Adventures

By Kricket Servis

I researched, I planned, I strategized, I prepped, I assembled, I studied, I practiced, I rallied, repeat. I did my homework. While researching, my excitement grew. The preparation needed to climb a new mountain with unfamiliar terrain was formidable, yet enthralling. I was ready.

I assured my weary friend that I did my homework; […]

By |August 19th, 2015|Literacy News + Events|0 Comments

Learning to Swim: My Reading Institute Experience

By Michelle Ramos, First Grade Teachers at La Pluma Elementary School

As an avid reader and first grade teacher, authors are my rock stars. Last week, I had the chance to meet and listen to two of my favorite authors, Donalyn Miller and Kathy Collins. They each were keynote speakers at the Reading and Writing Project […]

By |September 12th, 2014|Literacy News + Events|0 Comments

Spreading the Book Love: The Book Love Foundation Donates Classroom Libraries to Secondary Teachers

Apply for the 2015 grant here.

In 2012, Penny Kittle, a 30 year teaching veteran, author and national speaker, was moved by a letter from a former student about spending her own money to purchase books in order to build her classroom library. An idea was planted. She knew that so many teachers across the country […]

By |September 4th, 2014|Literacy News + Events|0 Comments