Read Aloud, Picture Books and More with Eric Carle

Eric Carle’s books have been a staple in my classroom and my family from the very beginning. My daughter’s first favorite book was “Slowly, Slowly, Slowly,” said the Sloth (Grades P-1, Lexile 410). Barely crawling, she would dig through the book bin until she found that book and hold it up in the air like […]

By |June 25th, 2016|Picture Books|0 Comments

New Cross-Curricular Picture Books for Middle Grade

You are never too old for a good picture book! Each year publishers add more wonderful picture books to the literary landscape. 2015 has been no different! Below are a few new cross-curricular picture books middle grade students will love. Each one offers opportunities for science and/or social studies instruction.

28 Days: Moments in Black History […]

By |November 23rd, 2015|Picture Books|0 Comments

Honoring Our Veterans: Greg Ruth’s Coming Home

Grades K-3

Every day soldiers leave their families, and every day, families hope and wait for their arrival. Greg Ruth’s Coming Home is a beautiful, practically wordless, picture book that truly captures the essence of this anticipation, inviting us into the emotional reunion of a young boy with his mother coming back from deployment.

I am often […]

By |November 4th, 2015|Picture Books|0 Comments

Booksource Book Club Reads Six Picture Books

Booksource Book Club invites you to read along with us. Every month or so (depending on the size of the book) a group of us book nerds gather to talk about a book we’ve all read. Now we want you to join in the fun! We’ll start by giving you an update of our last […]

By |May 28th, 2015|Picture Books|1 Comment

Picture Books for the 21st Century Student

Recently, I read a blog post by Frank Serafini about postmodern picture books. It got me thinking about books that stray from convention and how important these types of books have become in education for teaching 21st century skills. Such books can stretch students’ understandings, help them grasp content and progress as readers. I have […]

By |June 24th, 2014|Picture Books|0 Comments

Nonfiction Picture Books That Students Will Love

When it comes to picture books, it seems that fiction gets all of the glory. But, fantastic nonfiction pictures books are becoming more plentiful every publishing season. With Common Core State Standards encouraging us to incorporate more nonfiction into the classroom, this is great news. And while we often think of picture books as being […]

By |May 27th, 2014|Picture Books|0 Comments

Picture Books That Stretch Across the Curriculum

Appropriate for a range of reading and interest levels, picture books like these can be used to introduce content-area lessons, to work a little more art and music into the school day, or to serve as entertaining read alouds.

For budding young scientists and mystery lovers:

Frog Song (Grades K-3)

The illustrations in this book will be the […]

By |May 22nd, 2014|Picture Books|0 Comments