September Booksource Book Club Pick: Sisters by Raina Telgemeier

Booksource Book Club invites you to read Sisters by Raina Telgemeier along with us. We’ll post our discussion later where you can join the conversation.

Grades 4-8, Lexile GN290

Raina can’t wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren’t quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she’s also […]

By |September 16th, 2015|Graphic Novels|0 Comments

Roller Girl: A New “Girl Power” Graphic Novel!

A great post I read recently on the Nerdy Book Club blog about girls and graphic novels reminded me of my own introduction to graphic novels. Like the author of the post, I, too, had devoured Archie and Friends comics. My siblings and I had inherited from our grandparents a stack of Archie comic books that […]

By |June 26th, 2015|Graphic Novels|0 Comments

Book Recommendation: Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller

By Barb Ryan, Middle School English Teacher

Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller by Joseph Lambert
Grades 5-12, Lexile GN630

What midcentury-born girl did not grow up admiring Helen Keller and her feisty teacher Annie Sullivan? From an adult perspective, the allure is apparent: a girl without her vital senses of sight and hearing becomes formally […]

By |October 14th, 2014|Graphic Novels|0 Comments

Booksource’s Top Ten Graphic Novels

Ready to add graphic novels to your classroom library but not sure which ones? The following provides a list of some of our most popular titles. We’ve included fiction as well as nonfiction across a number of genres (classic literature, history, fantasy, memoir, humor and science). These books are ideal for striving and reluctant readers […]

By |May 20th, 2014|Graphic Novels|0 Comments

Graphic Novels 101

By Aimee Rogers

Graphic novels are experiencing a surge in popularity, but what the heck are they? Believe it or not this simple question is hotly contested amongst scholars and graphic novel aficionados. Basically a graphic novel is a long comic book—it uses panels, gutters and speech balloons.
Dispelling the Myths about Graphic Novels

Graphic novels (and comic […]

By |May 20th, 2014|Graphic Novels|0 Comments