Reinforcing the Message of Equality and Peace

Dorothy Law Nolte first published this poem titled “Children Learn What They Live” in 1954, and co-authored a book with Rachel Harris in 1998 of with the same title. As educators, we see first-hand how our actions and our students’ parents’ actions speak to our students louder than any words, lesson or story we have […]

By |July 20th, 2016|Diverse Books|0 Comments

ALA Resources for Finding Great GLBT Books

Recent times have seen a dramatic shift in public opinion and policies regarding the rights of GLBT individuals. Literature is experiencing a parallel increase towards inclusivity of GLBT characters. This can make choosing titles for the classroom interesting, to say the least! Luckily, the American Library Association (ALA) offers numerous resources to help review and […]

By |June 8th, 2016|Diverse Books|0 Comments

Books To Use in a Diverse Cultures Unit for Middle School Readers

Our world is becoming more and more diverse all of the time. With rapid advances in technology comes access to so much more information and so many more types of people. By using text with videos, blogs and audio from various cultures around the world, students can be exposed to more than we could have […]

By |October 23rd, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments

10 Websites to Help You Find the Best Diverse Books Lists (and Other Resources)

Although it’s been an often-discussed topic, the importance of sharing diverse books with children and young adults really cannot be stressed enough. From cultivating a sense of empathy and awareness to providing an accurate representation of the world, exposure to diverse books has many advantages for readers of all ages, though it can be a […]

By |October 15th, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments

Reading the World Makes Us Fearless

Every book we read changes us. Each story becomes part of us and expands our world. The characters we meet challenge, inspire and comfort us. They teach us about the world and introduce us to friends in unexpected places. They dare us to explore our dreams, to push beyond what we thought was possible for […]

By |October 14th, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments

The True Story of a Friendship That Spans Cultures and Continents

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives (Grades 7-12, Lexile: 790) is a powerful and emotional story of friendship.

This dual memoir is told from the perspectives of Caitlin, an upper middle class sixth grader from the suburbs of Pennsylvania, and Martin, a young man from the slums of Zimbabwe. The two […]

By |October 14th, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments

Coming of Age through a Cultural Journey

The shift from childhood to adolescence is often the defining moment when kids begin to wonder who they’re going to be. Sometimes it’s easier to see where you’re going once you’ve gained an understanding of where you’ve been. The protagonists in these books struggle with who they are and what they believe. It’s only after […]

By |October 13th, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments

What’s in a Name? Using, My Name Is Maria Isabel by AIma Flor Ada to Celebrate Diversity in the Classroom

Diversity surrounds us and plays an important role in all of our lives. The idea of one’s origins and the pride that surrounds it defines people’s behaviors, clothes and even friendship choices. The book, My Name Is Maria Isabel by Alma Flor Ada provides the reader and teacher with a unique look at how differences […]

By |October 7th, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments

Stella by Starlight by Sharon Draper: A Unique Perspective Of Civil Rights During the Great Depression

Grades 4-8, Lexile 740

Told from the perspective of Stella, a young African-American girl, Stella by Starlight (Grades 4-8, Lexile 740) begins one starlit night when she and her brother, JoJo, are out way past their bedtime witnessing something that they should never have seen. In the distance, the siblings see a flicker of flames burning […]

By |August 31st, 2015|Diverse Books|1 Comment

Be Who You Are: Booksource Book Club Reads George

Booksource Book Club invites you to read along with us. Every month or so (depending on the size of the book) a group of us book nerds gathers to talk about a book we’ve all read. Now we want you to join in the fun! We’ll start by giving you an update of our last […]

By |June 29th, 2015|Diverse Books|0 Comments