Spring (Book) Love: Popular High School Books That Are Transforming My Students into Readers

Driving home from school at this time of year, Missouri is beautiful. My favorite stretch of road dips down into a shallow valley and then swings back up revealing the soft purple flowers of a Rosebud tree, a white Dogwood in full bloom and the new green of Maples and Oaks. Everyday my eyes want […]

By |May 19th, 2017|Independent Reading|0 Comments

Just Right Books and Shoes: Helping Students Find the Right Fit

Do you remember when you were a kid, and every phase of your life seemed to last forever? You couldn’t imagine that your current situation would ever come to an end. This can be wonderful if it’s summer vacation, but can be a real trial for a struggling reader.

Many of our students who have reading […]

By |March 28th, 2017|Independent Reading|0 Comments

The Heart of Literacy: The Research on Independent Reading

I was able to work with Pam Allyn on a project a while back, and of the many wonderful things she said, one thing in particular stood out: Accountable independent reading is the heart of balanced literacy. There was something about the words “accountable” and “heart” that impacted me.

At first we might think of accountability […]

By |September 16th, 2015|Independent Reading|7 Comments