Using the 2016 Presidential Election to Teach Literacy Skills to High School Students

The 2016 presidential election is giving people a lot to talk about. Some elections slide by without much controversy, but not this one. As an educator thinking about teaching the 2016 presidential election, I’ve had to pause. Could I successfully hide my own political views? What would conversations in my classroom look like? Would students erupt […]

By |October 20th, 2016|Content Areas|0 Comments

Sally Ride Continues to Bring Space into the Classroom

When I was in grade school, I was lucky enough to spend a week at the most magical place on earth. We loaded up the family car and headed south, not to Disney World, but to someplace even better: Space Camp. I spent the week taking a simulated trip to Mars, imagining myself on the moon in a […]

By |June 10th, 2016|Content Areas|0 Comments

Bring Holocaust Remembrance Day Alive With These Riveting Titles

Yom HaShoah (May 4, 2016) marks the date of the Warsaw Uprising as Holocaust Remembrance Day. Yom HaShoah invites us to remember the victims of the Holocaust not just for the inhumane way they suffered and died, but for the heroic way they endured, resisted and sometimes survived—for how they lived. On this day, we […]

By |April 27th, 2016|Content Areas|0 Comments

Teaching Math Through Literature!

When I first began my career, many moons ago, I was teaching second grade. Like most new teachers, I was full of energy, trying out new techniques and strategies every week. My earliest memory of Marilyn Burns, the mathematics guru extraordinaire, was when I got my hands on The I Hate Mathematics! Book. I’m a […]

By |April 25th, 2016|Content Areas|1 Comment

Make High School History Come Alive With Paired Fiction and Nonfiction Texts

I’ve never really understood why literature and history are taught in isolation. As a student years ago, I feel that I would have been able to grasp more than dates and names in history class if I could have read about how the events affected the people and the culture of the given time period. […]

By |February 5th, 2016|Content Areas|4 Comments

Bring the 2016 Election into the Classroom with These KidLit Candidates

No matter which side of the aisle you are on, the 2016 elections will have everyone talking! Students will likely have questions about what is going on. Luckily there are some great books out there to explain the political process in a light-hearted, bi-partisan way. We’ve rounded up some of our favorites—guaranteed to inform and […]

By |December 28th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments

8 Content Area Activities that Use Real Books

Sometimes students and teachers alike forget that reading can take place across the curriculum. So we asked past and present teachers to let us know their favorite lessons and content area activities that were supported by real books. Here’s what they had to say!

1. “When I taught Pre-K, my favorite go-to lesson for color mixing […]

By |December 8th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments

Reading Comes to Life in the Content Areas

Reading is a vital communication skill that connects us to other people, other places and other times. It also expands our knowledge beyond what we can touch or see. Yet, teaching reading comprehension can be a difficult and time consuming undertaking, and for that reason, reading comprehension skills have often been taught in isolation, either […]

By |November 10th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments

Integrate Fitness and Literacy In This Michael Opitz Lesson Plan

While the idea of teaching with an integrated curriculum has been long-embraced by literacy educators and is anything but innovative, it has primarily been connected to content areas such as science, social studies and mathematics. Extending this content integration to all areas of fitness (physical, nutritional, social, and emotional) is innovating for reading educators. In […]

By |March 24th, 2015|Content Areas|0 Comments