Are You Ready for the 2017 ALA Youth Media Awards? A Look Back at the 2016 Medal Winners and Honorees

The medals are coming!

In a matter of days the American Library Association (ALA) will announce Caldecott and Newbery medal winners. (The announcements will take place on Monday, January 23 at 8 a.m. EST and are being live-streamed on the I Love Libraries Facebook page, so anyone can watch!)

My inner book nerd is all a-flurry […]

By |January 20th, 2017|Award-Winning Titles|0 Comments

And the Winners Are…The 2016 ALA Youth Media Award Winners

On Monday, January 11, ALA announced their 2016 Youth Media Award Winners. As usual, some of the winners were expected, but there were some surprises as well. Did your favorites win?

A full list of award, honor and medal winners can be found here.

2016 Newbery Medal Winner:

Last Stop on Market Street, written by Matt de la […]

By |January 13th, 2016|Award-Winning Titles|0 Comments

More than the Newbery and Caldecott: The ALA Youth Media Awards

It’s that time of year again: awards season! ALA will be announcing their annual Youth Media Awards on Monday, January 11 (set you alarms because it starts early this year, at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time. If you’re unable to attend the midwinter meetings in Boston, you can stream the live webcast here.).

ALA’s Youth Media Awards […]

By |January 9th, 2016|Award-Winning Titles|0 Comments

You’re in on the Fun! Announcing the Booksource Scout Awards

For the past few years, leading up to the ALA Youth Media Awards, Booksource folks have done a mock award contest to see which employee can guess the most winning titles. This year we broadcasted the award ceremony live in our training room. We cheered for most of the winning titles, but there were some […]

By |June 24th, 2015|Award-Winning Titles|0 Comments

Top Ten Newbery Award Snubs

We’ve included long-time favorites and modern classics in this list of titles that deserved Newbery Award recognition but never received it (in our humble opinion).

Wonder (Grades 4-7, Level U, Lexile 790): Wonder is R. J. Palacio’s extremely popular book about Auggie Pullman, a 5th grader born with a facial deformity who finally has the opportunity […]

By |January 14th, 2015|Award-Winning Titles|1 Comment