Teacher Ciji Thurman recently started using our web-based classroom library checkout system, Booksource Classroom, in her 4th grade classroom. Here’s what she thinks so far!

I came upon the Booksource Classroom site on a Saturday afternoon while doing my own little brainstorm session on how to bring back my classroom library. I wanted to not only get the students excited about reading, but also provide them with some additional and different books than that are provided in our library. Having such a packed schedule, it is difficult to get those independent reading times in.

Knowing that students advance and make so much more growth through reading for pleasure, I knew that not having a classroom library would be doing a disservice to my students.

With any classroom library, there is the issue of lost and/or damaged books. In the past, I would write down all the books in the classroom library and try to take inventory of them at the end of the year. Through some research, I found the Booksource Classroom site. Being able to electronically input the books was the first plus side. The second, and possibly the best, was the fact that students checked out their own books and had the opportunity to rate their books and write a short review.

Accountability is BIG. This site allows just that.

Booksource classroom library checkout system

                           Students checking out classroom library books through Booksource Classroom

For the short time that I have been using this in the classroom, the students have not lost interest. They are checking out books and wanting to read more! Watching students pull out a book that they had the pride and enjoyment of checking out themselves on one of the classroom computers, warms my heart. In the morning, during recess, and at the end of the day, I can look to the back of the room and see the students at the book cart and/or the computers checking out, returning, and rating books. I foresee that this momentum will continue as the year goes on.

This is a site that I would not only suggest to others, but HAVE suggested to others!

Related Classroom Organizer Resources:

Get Started with Booksource Classroom | Classroom.Booksource.com

Classroom Library Solutions | Teach, Mom, Repeat

Using Mobile Devices and Apps to Create and Manage Classroom Libraries | ILA’s Literacy Daily Blog

About Ms. Thurman:

I am a Western Kentucky University and Campbellsville University graduate. I have been a teacher in Hardin County since 2012. I know that all students can be successful and strive for each of my students to do so.

I believe that success is not measured in 100% (grades) but also in character and growth. I am a daughter, a sister, and an aunt. My father was in the military and because of this I am an Army Brat and have had the pleasure of living in different places and encountering different people.

I have always enjoyed reading and hope to instill this in my students as well. Reading can take you to so many different places.