Celebrate National Poetry month by reciting poems to people in the street, to your loved ones, to students and to yourself! Need some inspiration? Our top ten videos for National Poetry Month will help get you started.

  1. “‘Hope’ Is the Thing with Feathers” by Emily Dickinson. Read by Claire Danes and signed by Rachel, age 9.

Poetry Video

  1. A cartoon version of Jack Prelutsky reads his poem, “Today Is Very Boring,” for Arthur and friends on the hit PBS TV show.

  1. Shel Silverstein performs his poem ‘Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me Too’ from Where the Sidewalk Ends. Great way to make the connection between poetry and music lyrics.

  1. Powerful ode to the importance of poetry from the movie Dead Poet’s Society with a quote from Walt Whitman.

  1. In this Nike commercial, Glen Close reads “I Like for You to Be Still” by Pablo Neruda. It’s a magical combination.

  1. Introduce students to poet Naomi Shihab Nye with the funny poem, “One Boy Told Me.”

  1. Author Janet Wong (Apple Pie Fourth of July) shares a lovely idea for introducing students to poetry.

  1. “I, Too” by Langston Hughes.

  1. The love poem of all love poems—William Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116.

  1. “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou.​

Let us know your favorites! Comment below.