25+ Must-Have Books and Series to Engage Reluctant Readers

By |May 12th, 2017|

Research shows that access to books improves reading performances (Lindsay, 2010). But access is much more than just having books available on a shelf, especially when it comes to books for reluctant readers. Access means having the right books available and easy to find for every student in your class. Some students have a more […]

Take a Field Trip! Over and Under the Pond, and the Magic of Place in Student Writing

By |May 9th, 2017|

Guest blog post from Kate Messner, Over and Under the Pond author

When I was eleven, we moved from the center of my small town out to the country, and my world suddenly felt a lot bigger. The property was fifty-five acres, made up of apple orchards, pine woods, hills, and streams, and I remember the […]

15 Summer Reading Tips to Get (and Keep) Kids Reading This Summer

By |May 2nd, 2017|

We’ve all heard about the summer slide—and as educators we’ve surely spent hours (if not days) wracking our brains for ways to prevent it. As you may have heard, there is one eensy-weensy, super simple, FUN way to prevent it: summer reading.

The single best predictor of summer loss or gain? Reading. And as with classroom […]

5 Children’s Book Week Ideas for Teachers

By |April 28th, 2017|

Around here, it’s always time to celebrate children’s books and reading. As an educator, you probably feel that way too! But that doesn’t have to stop us from taking advantage of the excitement of Children’s Book Week, May 1-7. (Did you know that it’s the longest-running literacy initiative in our country?) In honor of this […]

Mysteries in the Classroom: How to Hook Readers with a “Whodunit” Tale

By |April 25th, 2017|

Last week, I brought home one of my favorite childhood books, The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery by Graeme Base. In the story, Horace the elephant has a birthday party, and someone ate his birthday feast. The picture book has extremely intricate illustrations which hold the clues and keys to the mystery. The solution is […]

Inspired By The Outsiders: Author David Arnold on Kids of Appetite and Writing YA Fiction

By |April 18th, 2017|

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the publication of S.E. Hinton’s The Outsiders, David Arnold reflects on how the book inspired his own work as a writer of YA fiction.

Shortly after the sale of my first novel, Mosquitoland (Grades 7-12, Lexile HL750), something occurred to me: that word—first—denoted a second. “First” implied the assumption […]

Things to Do in the Classroom with a Picture Poetry Book

By |April 11th, 2017|

By Elaine Magliaro
Author of Things to Do, a picture poetry book

I was an elementary school teacher for more than thirty years. I loved sharing poetry with my students! I also loved teaching them how to write poetry. One kind of poem my students enjoyed writing was a “things to do” list poem.

When I write my […]

10 Standards-Aligned NGSS Picture Books to Introduce Earth Day & Build Environmental and Climate Literacy

By |April 7th, 2017|

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”

 –Native American Proverb

We often hear the common question of what is Earth Day, a day on April 22nd to demonstrate support for environmental protection worldwide. But the overarching question is why do we have Earth Day? To some, we have a […]

National Poetry Month Resources: The Best Books and Articles to Inspire a Poetry Unit

By |March 31st, 2017|

Any time of year can be perfect for a poetry unit, but spring—when flowers bloom and sunshine returns—seems like an especially appropriate season to introduce students to the beauty of verse. Plus, April is National Poetry Month, making it the ideal time to share all of the learning opportunities these National Poetry Month resources have […]

Just Right Books and Shoes: Helping Students Find the Right Fit

By |March 28th, 2017|

Do you remember when you were a kid, and every phase of your life seemed to last forever? You couldn’t imagine that your current situation would ever come to an end. This can be wonderful if it’s summer vacation, but can be a real trial for a struggling reader.

Many of our students who have reading […]