The Power of Story: Recommended Black History Month Titles for Every Grade Level

By |February 3rd, 2017|

Established on the coattails of the Civil Rights Movement and Negro History Week, President Gerald Ford officially recognized February as Black History Month in 1976 with the hope that the public would “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor through our history.” This is a […]

Reading Aloud in the Digital Age

By |February 3rd, 2017|

There is one day every year where millions of us from around the globe take action to show that the right to literacy belongs to all people. This day is World Read Aloud Day, and on February 16, 2017, we will advocate for accessible and sustainable literacy communities through the read aloud. On this day, […]

Celebrating the Journey: Sue Ganz-Schmitt on Space, Planet Kindergarten and the 100th Day of School

By |January 31st, 2017|

When I was in kindergarten, I found my power in story dictation. I was a quiet kid and I didn’t have a voice in my boisterous family. Each week, a volunteer parent sat with me listening intently and typing my words­, like they mattered. I illustrated my work with a free hand (no coloring book […]

New to Balanced Literacy? Here’s What You Need to Know

By |January 24th, 2017|

Balanced literacy. What does it mean?

If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find many different definitions that may end up confusing you more than comforting you. But there are common threads in any explanation of the practice.

No matter how you define it, balanced literacy always involves the integration of real books within multiple threads […]

Are You Ready for the 2017 ALA Youth Media Awards? A Look Back at the 2016 Medal Winners and Honorees

By |January 20th, 2017|

The medals are coming!

In a matter of days the American Library Association (ALA) will announce Caldecott and Newbery medal winners. (The announcements will take place on Monday, January 23 at 8 a.m. EST and are being live-streamed on the I Love Libraries Facebook page, so anyone can watch!)

My inner book nerd is all a-flurry […]

10 Tips for Integrating MORE Books Into Your Pre-K Classroom

By |January 17th, 2017|

For young children to love books, they need to experience them. Long before they begin learning to read, young students need to be around books. They need to touch them, see them, hear them read aloud. The research on early literacy is clear: even if children aren’t yet learning to read, interacting with books prepares them to […]

Mining for Gold: Gold Rush-Themed Lesson Ideas That Start With Books

By |January 10th, 2017|

On January 24, 1848, gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill in California, sparking one of the largest migrations in America’s history. Americans and immigrants flocked to California by the thousands, hoping to strike it rich as miners in the gold fields or as merchants selling supplies.

Although it seems like ages ago, students can find […]

Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

By |January 3rd, 2017|

Although not originally intended only for children, fairy tales have had a prominent place in children’s literature for centuries. With their fantastic, magical elements and plot lines that support character education and social and emotional learning, fairy tales in the classroom can introduce students to history, international settings, critical literacy skills and more.
Fairy Tales Teach […]

Crises and Crusades: Support Content Area Literacy with These Historical Titles by Albert Marrin

By |December 30th, 2016|

Albert Marrin is a well-regarded author of juvenile nonfiction. Having penned over three dozen titles, he is not only prolific but also award-winning, and clearly dedicated to bringing history to life for his readers.

I recently spent some time with three of Marrin’s titles: A Volcano Beneath the Snow, FDR and the American Crisis and Thomas […]

10 Ways to Use Authentic Literature in Elementary, Middle AND High School Classrooms

By |December 20th, 2016|

Authentic literature has the power to excite students and foster a love of engaged reading, but it’s often challenging for busy teachers to find time to integrate real books into an already jam-packed schedule of daily lessons. How can you harness the power of a classroom library and get students reading more throughout the day—especially […]