Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

By |January 3rd, 2017|

Although not originally intended only for children, fairy tales have had a prominent place in children’s literature for centuries. With their fantastic, magical elements and plot lines that support character education and social and emotional learning, fairy tales in the classroom can introduce students to history, international settings, critical literacy skills and more.
Fairy Tales Teach […]

Comments Off on Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

Crises and Crusades: Support Content Area Literacy with These Historical Titles by Albert Marrin

By |December 30th, 2016|

Albert Marrin is a well-regarded author of juvenile nonfiction. Having penned over three dozen titles, he is not only prolific but also award-winning, and clearly dedicated to bringing history to life for his readers.

I recently spent some time with three of Marrin’s titles: A Volcano Beneath the Snow, FDR and the American Crisis and Thomas […]

Comments Off on Crises and Crusades: Support Content Area Literacy with These Historical Titles by Albert Marrin

10 Ways to Use Authentic Literature in Elementary, Middle AND High School Classrooms

By |December 20th, 2016|

Authentic literature has the power to excite students and foster a love of engaged reading, but it’s often challenging for busy teachers to find time to integrate real books into an already jam-packed schedule of daily lessons. How can you harness the power of a classroom library and get students reading more throughout the day—especially […]

Comments Off on 10 Ways to Use Authentic Literature in Elementary, Middle AND High School Classrooms

Lola StVil’s Girls Like Me: Mentor Text for Writing or Independent Read?

By |December 16th, 2016|

Every month, the Booksource Book Club meets to discuss a different classroom library title. It’s always interesting to share our (often diverse) opinions on a given book, and debate the many ways it might be used to engage students as readers. One of our most recent reads, Lola StVil’s Girls Like Me, presented an interesting […]

Comments Off on Lola StVil’s Girls Like Me: Mentor Text for Writing or Independent Read?

How Books Can Help Build Early Literacy Skills in Pre-K Classrooms

By |December 13th, 2016|

We shouldn’t teach great books; we should teach a love of reading.
–B.F. Skinner, psychologist and author
This quote speaks to me on such a primal level because I LOVE to read, and believe me, I share that love with everyone around me who is willing to listen. My colleagues and I discuss book recommendations, I give […]

Comments Off on How Books Can Help Build Early Literacy Skills in Pre-K Classrooms

Teach a Holiday Lesson in Multiculturalism with These 5 Holidays Around the World Collections

By |December 5th, 2016|

Holidays can be tricky for teachers to navigate, especially in the elementary grades where many classroom activities revolve around the latest opportunity for celebration.

So how can educators and administrators best integrate holidays into school curriculum? While individual schools and districts will ultimately have to decide what approach works best for them, don’t forget about the […]

Comments Off on Teach a Holiday Lesson in Multiculturalism with These 5 Holidays Around the World Collections

Make Good Choices! Author KA Holt on Writing to Explore Consequences

By |December 5th, 2016|

In my family, it’s a little bit of a joke when I yell, “Make good choices!” as my kids go off to school, or to play with friends. They always shake their heads and laugh, but hopefully my words sink in a little bit. It’s hard to make good choices, especially when you’re growing up […]

Comments Off on Make Good Choices! Author KA Holt on Writing to Explore Consequences

A Classroom Library Quick Reference Guide

By |December 1st, 2016|

“Research proves that access to books and providing students with choices in what they read improves students’ reading motivation, engagement and achievement. A well-curated classroom library offers students the support they need to become lifelong readers.”

–Donalynn Miller
When you build a classroom library filled with engaging books, students get excited about reading. But how do you […]

How One Kansas City Elementary School Used Classroom Libraries to Boost Grade Level Proficiency by 20%

By |November 29th, 2016|

When Principal Ryan Most came to Kansas City’s New Stanley Elementary School in 2012, the school ranked in the bottom 5% of the state. Classroom libraries were outdated, and teachers received little, if any, professional development.

Materials being used were mostly remnants from past basal programs. They targeted below-grade-level readers, and were working for some students, […]

Comments Off on How One Kansas City Elementary School Used Classroom Libraries to Boost Grade Level Proficiency by 20%

Top Takeaways from Our Favorite NCTE 2016 Sessions in Atlanta

By |November 23rd, 2016|

“Books are our co-teachers. When we bring books into the classroom we are never lonely.”  @JoEllenMcCarthy, #NCTE16

We’re back—from NCTE 2016, that is! This annual conference, which took place in Atlanta, GA last weekend, couldn’t have come at a better time of year. Over and over, we heard from educators who connected with their tribe, discovered […]