Nonfiction That Reads Like Fiction: Q&A with Doreen Rappaport

By |October 10th, 2017|

We recently had the opportunity to speak with award-winning author Doreen Rappaport, whose books are known for celebrating multiculturalism, retelling folktales and myths, combining historical facts with intimate storytelling and finding new ways to present the lives of world leaders. We asked specifically about her newest nonfiction title, 42 is Not Just a Number, as well as her research process […]

17 Books for Readers Who Love Diary of a Wimpy Kid

By |October 6th, 2017|

Keep scrolling to the bottom of this post to enter for a chance to bring another popular middle grade series, the Dork Diaries, to your classroom!

With a total of eleven (soon to be twelve!) books in the series, four Hollywood film adaptations and millions of loyal fans, Jeff Kinney’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid books […]

5 Compelling Reasons to Say Yes to Book Candy

By |September 29th, 2017|

My favorite candy is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I love everything about them: the small size cups, peeling off the paper and the perfect mix of the soft peanut butter with the hard chocolate. There is nothing I don’t like. But if I ate them all the time, I’d probably get really tired of them. […]

Comics in the Classroom: Making a Place for Graphic Novels

By |September 22nd, 2017|

Just a few short years ago, graphic novels were welcomed into the classroom. Long gone are the days when they were not considered “real” reading. While there may still be some curmudgeonly hold-outs that shun this format, numerous studies have proven their place in the classroom is well-deserved. Graphic novels can increase reading comprehension, support […]

I Created a Classroom Organizer Account, Now What?

By |September 15th, 2017|

So you created a Classroom Organizer account to help organize your classroom library and you are feeling overwhelmed! We understand and we are here to help!

Take a deep breath….

Here are 5 things to do after creating your Classroom Organizer account:

1. Go to Your Account.

On the left navigation menu of the Teacher Dashboard, you will find Your […]

Telling History’s Story through Primary Sources

By |September 12th, 2017|

By Emily R. Smith, Teacher Created Materials

Every year, I tell my students that by the end of the year they will all love social studies. One year, David, my natural-born scientist, rolled his eyes and looked at me like I was crazy. (This is the student whose history museum exhibit included mummifying a teddy bear.) […]

Create a Culture of Engaged Readers With Our NEW Booksource Classroom Library Videos!

By |September 8th, 2017|

We’re so excited to kick off our NEW Classroom Library Videos with a series on Creating a Culture of Engaged Readers! In these short video clips, you’ll meet veteran educator Kelli Westmoreland, find answers to common classroom library questions and get ideas for integrating classroom library books into daily instruction. Whether you’re new to the idea of […]

The Big 3: Introducing Our 2018 Booksource Catalogs and Collections

By |September 6th, 2017|

At Booksource, we believe that creating better readers has the power to create a better world. By providing students with access to books that allow them to explore their interests and passions, classroom libraries have the power to create these readers. A classroom library filled with high-quality, authentic literature also empowers teachers to introduce topics […]

Share Your Literacy Expertise! Write for Booksource Banter

By |August 29th, 2017|

Do you have a passion for teaching with real books? Stories from everyday life as a teacher, coach or administrator? Literacy strategies and insights that would benefit other educators? A classroom library you’d love to show the world?
Booksource Banter is the official blog of Booksource, a leading distributor of authentic literature for K-12 classroom libraries. […]

Thinking Outside the Chapter Book

By |August 25th, 2017|

It always puzzles and saddens me a little when an adult acts apologetic to me about their reading habits. I often get “I don’t like to read, I just read magazines,” or “I’m not much of a reader, I just read books like Twilight.” There is an assumption that, because I teach reading, I believe […]