The Reading Achievement Gap: Why Do Poor Students Lag Behind Rich Students in Reading Development?

By Richard L. Allington, Ph.D., and Anne McGill-Franzen, Ph.D.
According to a recent National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) report, 12th-grade students from low-income families read four years below middle-class 12th-graders. In fact, their reading performance in 12th grade is equal to the performance of middle-class 8th-grade students! In the U.S., as is the case in […]

By |May 8th, 2015|Summer Reading|46 Comments

Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen

Every year several books make it to the big screen, and 2015 is no different. When books become movies, the words are magically brought to life, providing a visual depiction of the stories we’ve come to know and love. So let’s roll out the red carpet, because we’ve rounded up some of this year’s biggest […]

By |May 8th, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments

Booksource Banter May Giveaway: Books-Go-Hollywood!

We have a collection of FIVE books recently turned into movies for TWO lucky Banter Readers to win! Enter by completing the form below. Entries are limited to the United States. Contest ends 11:59 p.m. CST on May 31, 2015. Winners will be randomly selected.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home […]

By |May 5th, 2015|Summer Reading|3 Comments

No More Dreadful Summer Reading Lists, Please! Top 40 Summer Reading Books for Grades K-8

If the phrase “summer reading” jostles memories of “MUST read” summer reading lists where selections are demanded only to be read in preparation for the coming school year and impending lessons and personal preference and choice are not options, then yes, that dread is rightfully felt! As a mother and former ELA teacher this connotation of […]

By |April 21st, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments

Summer Reading: Had Me a Blast!

Summer is my favorite season for reading. This sun-filled season is fun, full of freedom and (sadly) short. Summer reading should reflect the season itself: enjoyable, self-selected and achievable! With these qualities in mind, the following books were chosen for their enjoyable story lines, engaging themes and low page counts. Another important element to summer […]

By |April 16th, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments

My Students Give ME a Summer Reading List

Teaching middle school has its advantages. I never tie shoes or wipe noses. Handwriting is rarely an issue. Parents don’t follow their children into the classroom and temper tantrums are infrequent (although often more disturbing). One of the special advantages of being a reading teacher is keeping up with the latest trends in young adult […]

By |April 13th, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments

How to Stop Summer Slide: 4 Tips from Pam Allyn

Summer vacation is fast approaching for students and educators across the United States. Although it is a time for recovery and rest, the long break poses a major threat to our students’ progress—the summer slide. Research shows that children who do not read over their summer vacation can lose significant levels of reading progress in […]

By |April 13th, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments

Donalyn Miller’s Six Tips for Launching a School-Wide Summer Reading Initiative

Reading research indicates that the reading ability of many children declines between the end of one school year and the beginning of the next because they do not read over the summer. You can counteract this summer reading slump by reading as few as four or five books over the summer, according to researcher Jimmy […]

By |April 10th, 2015|Summer Reading|2 Comments

How to Get Your Students to Read This Summer

Summer reading…the words a six-year-old loves to hear and words an eighth grader loathes. What happens during those years to put dread in something so great? I’m not completely sure myself. I do know that as an eighth-grade ELA teacher, my students would get their high school summer reading lists in the mail in May and […]

By |April 10th, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments

Sun’s Out, Books Out!

Looking for ways to avoid the summer slump and keep students motivated to read? Then look no further than Booksource’s summer reading collections!

Even though students are relaxing and soaking up the sun, summer can still be the perfect time to read a fantastic book! You might be thinking “students aren’t going to interrupt pool or […]

By |April 3rd, 2015|Summer Reading|0 Comments