6 Essentials of a High-Quality Classroom Library

Your classroom library is an integral part of your literacy program, but not all classroom libraries are created equal. A high-quality classroom library provides students access to not just any books but the right books—books that engage them as readers, support and scaffold them as they grow, build reading skills, spark creativity and empathy, encourage […]

Top 10 Mentor Texts for Opinion Writing

In a digital world where we are inundated with videos, podcasts and tweets trying to persuade us to side with a cause, teaching students how to express their own opinions and write persuasively is a must. The following mentor texts for opinion writing offer opinion and persuasion do’s and don’ts by modeling techniques, counter claims, […]

By |February 17th, 2017|Book Recommendation, Elementary, High School, Middle School, Top Ten Books|Comments Off on Top 10 Mentor Texts for Opinion Writing

The Best Books for Classroom Libraries: 20 Top Titles of 2016

With so many amazing books published in 2016, it can be hard to know which are the best to include in a classroom library. To help you choose, we’ve compiled a list of titles that are all worth a second look. To curate this list, we crunched the numbers to see which books were popular with customers. […]

The Power of Story: Recommended Black History Month Titles for Every Grade Level

Established on the coattails of the Civil Rights Movement and Negro History Week, President Gerald Ford officially recognized February as Black History Month in 1976 with the hope that the public would “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor through our history.” This is a […]

By |February 3rd, 2017|Book Recommendation, Elementary, Feature, High School, Middle School, Social Studies|Comments Off on The Power of Story: Recommended Black History Month Titles for Every Grade Level

Reading Aloud in the Digital Age

There is one day every year where millions of us from around the globe take action to show that the right to literacy belongs to all people. This day is World Read Aloud Day, and on February 16, 2017, we will advocate for accessible and sustainable literacy communities through the read aloud. On this day, […]

By |February 3rd, 2017|Elementary, Experts from the Field, Feature, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on Reading Aloud in the Digital Age

Celebrating the Journey: Sue Ganz-Schmitt on Space, Planet Kindergarten and the 100th Day of School

When I was in kindergarten, I found my power in story dictation. I was a quiet kid and I didn’t have a voice in my boisterous family. Each week, a volunteer parent sat with me listening intently and typing my words­, like they mattered. I illustrated my work with a free hand (no coloring book […]

By |January 31st, 2017|Book Recommendation, Classroom Ideas, Elementary, Science|Comments Off on Celebrating the Journey: Sue Ganz-Schmitt on Space, Planet Kindergarten and the 100th Day of School

Mining for Gold: Gold Rush-Themed Lesson Ideas That Start With Books

On January 24, 1848, gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill in California, sparking one of the largest migrations in America’s history. Americans and immigrants flocked to California by the thousands, hoping to strike it rich as miners in the gold fields or as merchants selling supplies.

Although it seems like ages ago, students can find […]

By |January 10th, 2017|Book Recommendation, Classroom Ideas, Elementary, Feature, Middle School, Social Studies|Comments Off on Mining for Gold: Gold Rush-Themed Lesson Ideas That Start With Books

Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

Although not originally intended only for children, fairy tales have had a prominent place in children’s literature for centuries. With their fantastic, magical elements and plot lines that support character education and social and emotional learning, fairy tales in the classroom can introduce students to history, international settings, critical literacy skills and more.
Fairy Tales Teach […]

By |January 3rd, 2017|Book Recommendation, Elementary, Feature, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

10 Ways to Use Authentic Literature in Elementary, Middle AND High School Classrooms

Authentic literature has the power to excite students and foster a love of engaged reading, but it’s often challenging for busy teachers to find time to integrate real books into an already jam-packed schedule of daily lessons. How can you harness the power of a classroom library and get students reading more throughout the day—especially […]

By |December 20th, 2016|Classroom Ideas, Classroom Libraries, Contests and Freebies, Elementary, Feature, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on 10 Ways to Use Authentic Literature in Elementary, Middle AND High School Classrooms

Teach a Holiday Lesson in Multiculturalism with These 5 Holidays Around the World Collections

Holidays can be tricky for teachers to navigate, especially in the elementary grades where many classroom activities revolve around the latest opportunity for celebration.

So how can educators and administrators best integrate holidays into school curriculum? While individual schools and districts will ultimately have to decide what approach works best for them, don’t forget about the […]

By |December 5th, 2016|Book Recommendation, Classroom Ideas, Classroom Libraries, Early Childhood, Elementary, Feature, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on Teach a Holiday Lesson in Multiculturalism with These 5 Holidays Around the World Collections