Tips for Celebrating Paul Bunyan (and Other Tall Tales) in the Classroom

This Paul Bunyan day, let’s talk about the importance of teaching folktales, tall tales and legends to our students throughout the year.

In case you’re as confused as I was about the difference between the three, allow me to share what I’ve learned. Folktales are stories that have been told since long ago and passed down […]

By |June 20th, 2016|Seasonal|0 Comments

Earth Day: The Perfect Time to Go Blue

Most students have heard the tag line going green, but what about going blue? Earth Day is an opportunity for students to not only learn about the different vulnerabilities of the earth, but it is also an opportunity to figure out a plan to help it! A lot of compelling literature on environmental issues exists […]

By |April 19th, 2016|Seasonal|0 Comments

Three Ideas to Celebrate Jackie Robinson Day with Your Students!

Jackie Robinson Day is coming up on April 15th. This day commemorates Robinson’s major league debut back in 1947. All Major League Baseball players will wear Jackie’s number (42) that day to honor the man who broke baseball’s color line. This is a great time to introduce students to this American hero. Try some of […]

By |March 31st, 2016|Seasonal|1 Comment

Harper Lee, Real Courage and National Women’s History Month

When my husband and I started having kids, we found ourselves drawn toward literacy-themed names. Our oldest daughter, Elliot, made us think of authors like George Eliot, author of Middlemarch, and T.S. Eliot, author of many modernist poems and books including ‘The Hollow Men,” which ends with one of my favorite stanzas in poetry- “This […]

By |March 11th, 2016|Seasonal|0 Comments

Black History Month in an Olympic Year: Stories of Resilience & Dreams

We watch their feats with amazement and marvel at their skills. From the comfort of our living rooms, we cheer them on, rejoicing in their victories and agonizing in their defeats. They make it look easy—sprinting for the finish line, floating through air, waving in triumph. What we don’t see are the hours and hours […]

By |February 12th, 2016|Seasonal|0 Comments

7 Banned Books That Shaped My Reading Life

This week, we celebrate the controversial works of literature that often fall victim to the hands of censorship. Oftentimes, when a book is challenged, it’s because community members feel that it doesn’t meet the community’s standards or uphold community values. Since libraries and schools are institutions that stand to serve the community, and since most […]

By |October 1st, 2015|Seasonal|0 Comments

Twelve Titles for Earth Day, Arbor Day, Every Day!

Here are 12 titles selected with the environment in mind—and each comes with free Teacher Resources.*

The list includes nonfiction, fiction, read-aloud picture books, a graphic novel and even a couple of chapter books. Get ideas, have a debate, get involved. These books are sure to inspire action!

1. 10 Things I Can Do to Help […]

By |April 20th, 2015|Seasonal|0 Comments

Top Ten Poetry Videos for National Poetry Month

Celebrate National Poetry month by reciting poems to people in the street, to your loved ones, to students and to yourself! Need some inspiration? Our top ten videos for National Poetry Month will help get you started.

“‘Hope’ Is the Thing with Feathers” by Emily Dickinson. Read by Claire Danes and signed by Rachel, age 9.

A […]

By |March 9th, 2015|Seasonal|0 Comments

A Little Love Goes a Long Way: Teaching Empathy with Mr. Hatch This Valentine’s Day

Grades K-3, Level N, Lexile 550

Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. All cheesy romance factors aside, I think Valentine’s Day is more about showing appreciation to people you care about. Eileen Spinelli’s Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch, the story of a lonely man who receives a life-changing valentine, completely captures this great time […]

By |February 6th, 2015|Seasonal|0 Comments

Celebrate Black History Month with Music

A fresh way to introduce Black History Month is to focus on some of the incredible books featuring the lyrical rhythms of a culture’s past and present. Music is one thing we all understand. We may not understand or like the same kinds, but we all know music–the sounds, the beats, the rhythm, how it […]

By |February 5th, 2015|Seasonal|0 Comments