Tackling Mature Subjects with Kate Messner

Last night, I got into a deep discussion with my fiancée about the rules of magical wishing. Though every story about wishing varies, one golden rule and one golden consequence seem to prevail: the wish must be a selfless act, and there is always a catch. Kate Messner’s The Seventh Wish (Grades 3-6) spurred this […]

By |June 18th, 2016|Chapter Books|0 Comments

A One-of-a-Kind Middle Grade Novel (that’s Scary-Safe)

A few weeks ago, I listened to a delightful podcast where Matthew Winner did an author interview with Karen Rivers about her new book The Girl in the Well is Me (Grades 5-8). Matthew, an elementary school librarian, said he had NEVER, ever read anything quite like this book for middle grade. That intrigued me, […]

By |April 2nd, 2016|Chapter Books|1 Comment

Booksource Book Club Reads The Nest by Kenneth Oppel

Booksource Book Club invites you to read along with us! This month we gathered to talk about The Nest by Kenneth Oppel. The Nest is a suspenseful horror story that will keep young readers on the edge of their seats. I reviewed The Nest last year (it was one of my favorite books of the […]

By |March 15th, 2016|Chapter Books|0 Comments

Confessions of a Serial Reader

You’ve heard about those people. You know the ones. Like that lady who read 21 of the Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum books and just got Tricky Twenty-Two for Christmas. She talks about the Women’s Murder Club like she’s a member and Alex Cross like they’re good friends. She’s the lady who pre-ordered every copy in […]

By |January 29th, 2016|Chapter Books|1 Comment

Embark on a Journey of Love & Friendship with Crenshaw

In Katherine Applegate’s new novel Crenshaw (Grades 5-9, Lexile 540), 10-year-old Jackson is consumed with worry as he watches his parents flounder under the weight of financial difficulties. Even though he’s young, he already has experience with these familiar adult stressors and remembers a time when his family was homeless. Jackson understands where the family […]

By |December 17th, 2015|Chapter Books|0 Comments

Don’t Get Stung! A Review of The Nest, by Kenneth Oppel

Cover image credit: HarperCollins Canada

“The first time I saw them, I thought they were angels…”

The Nest (Grades 5-8, Lexile: 640), the new psychological horror story by Canadian author Kenneth Oppel, is, hands down, my favorite book of the year.

Twelve-year-old Steve is home for the summer, but he isn’t able to enjoy his time off: his […]

By |December 15th, 2015|Chapter Books|0 Comments

A New Series about Magical Creatures Supports Scientific Thinking AND Writing!

I picked up Pip Bartlett’s Guide to Magical Creatures (Grades 3-7, Lexile 690) because I saw the name Maggie Stiefvater on a bright, cheery middle-grade Scholastic cover. I was curious because, of course, I associate her name with fantasy YA titles (namely, books from The Wolves of Mercy Falls and The Raven Cycle series). Based […]

By |September 28th, 2015|Chapter Books|0 Comments

Book Recommendation: Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan

Grades 5-9; Lexile: 680

Echo, the new novel by award-winning author Pam Munoz Ryan, is a genre-defying book that’s a bit hard to describe. It’s an intriguing mix of historical fiction and magical realism with a bit of traditional fairy tale thrown in. It’s a book filled with magic, music and the power of love and […]

By |June 9th, 2015|Chapter Books|3 Comments

Let’s Start a Reading Revolution: Booksource Book Club Reads I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora

By Erin Vehige, Teacher Resources; and Sean Binkley, Regional Accounts

Booksource Book Club invites you to read along with us. Every month or so (depending on the size of the book) a group of us book nerds gather to talk about a book we’ve all read. Now we want you to join in the fun! We’ll […]

By |February 19th, 2015|Chapter Books|0 Comments