3 Readers You’ll Meet in the Middle School Classroom

Guest post by Carly Black, Teach Mom Repeat. Thanks to veteran middle school teacher Carly for joining us to share some of her favorite tips for matching books to readers!

The anticipation for class rosters hangs in the hot humid air of summer all season long. A reading teacher’s mind continuously swirls with ideas for the […]

By |July 31st, 2018|Independent Reading|1 Comment

How to “Jump” Into Guided Reading

This is a sponsored post on behalf of Jump Library. Scroll to the bottom of this post and enter to win twenty of Jump’s high-interest nonfiction titles, with F&P levels of A-E, for your classroom!

Guided Reading helps teachers meet students’ varying needs. Through this framework, students are provided with supportive literacy experiences to help them […]

By |November 20th, 2017|Guided Reading|3 Comments

3 Reasons Wonder Makes a Wonderful Classroom Read Aloud

WONDER-ing what to read next…?

It’s nearly time for Auggie Pullman to grace the silver screen, and in the spirit of “the movie’s coming out so hurry up and read the book,” here are a few of my favorite things about Wonder that I hope will compel you to pick up a copy, and perhaps read it […]

By |October 26th, 2017|Read Alouds|0 Comments

5 Compelling Reasons to Say Yes to Book Candy

My favorite candy is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I love everything about them: the small size cups, peeling off the paper and the perfect mix of the soft peanut butter with the hard chocolate. There is nothing I don’t like. But if I ate them all the time, I’d probably get really tired of them. […]

By |September 29th, 2017|Independent Reading|0 Comments

Telling History’s Story through Primary Sources

By Emily R. Smith, Teacher Created Materials

Every year, I tell my students that by the end of the year they will all love social studies. One year, David, my natural-born scientist, rolled his eyes and looked at me like I was crazy. (This is the student whose history museum exhibit included mummifying a teddy bear.) […]

By |September 12th, 2017|Content Areas|1 Comment

From Reluctant to Engaged: 4 Secrets to End Fake Reading

A few months ago, I went to Michigan Reading Association’s annual conference to learn—and to share what I’ve learned throughout my career with Michigan teachers. I attended two sessions on engaging readers and combating fake readers, and one of my presentations was titled “From Reluctant to Engaged: Secrets to End Fake Reading.” All three sessions […]

By |August 15th, 2017|Independent Reading|12 Comments

Middle Grade Giveaway! The Harlem Charade Book Club 6-Pack

Every month, the Booksource Book Club meets to discuss a different classroom library title. It’s always interesting to share our (often diverse) opinions on a given book, and debate the many ways it might be used to engage students as readers. Recently, we read The Harlem Charade—and now we’re giving away a Book Club 6-pack […]

By |July 14th, 2017|Book Clubs + Lit Circles|0 Comments

Choose, Check and Champion Student Reading

When I was asked by my principal to create a skills class for my developing readers nearly 10 years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate a choice reading program that was structured, but loose enough where students could choose, check and champion their own reading without the risk of an assessment or using reading […]

By |July 11th, 2017|Independent Reading|0 Comments

8 Alternatives to Reading Logs for Holding Students Accountable During Independent Reading

Research validates what we already know, that time spent reading improves reading achievement (Anderson, 1985; Anderson, Wilson, & Fielding, 1988; Fielding & Pearson, 1994; Taylor, Frye, & Maruyama, 1990). It sounds simple, but I’ve never had a class in twenty-four years where students would just go get a book and read on the first day […]

By |June 30th, 2017|Independent Reading|10 Comments

Spring (Book) Love: Popular High School Books That Are Transforming My Students into Readers

Driving home from school at this time of year, Missouri is beautiful. My favorite stretch of road dips down into a shallow valley and then swings back up revealing the soft purple flowers of a Rosebud tree, a white Dogwood in full bloom and the new green of Maples and Oaks. Everyday my eyes want […]

By |May 19th, 2017|Independent Reading|0 Comments