How to Make Books Accessible for Students During the Pandemic

If your school or district is receiving CARES Act funding, you can use it to meet your students’ literacy needs. Because your students still need books, we are working with educators across the country to create custom solutions that capitalize on their CARES funding and ensure book access and choice for students.

In March 2020, COVID-19 brought school as we know it […]

9 Proven Ways to Teach with Take Home Reading Packs During an Uncertain School Year

If your school or district is receiving CARES Act funding, you can use it to meet your students’ literacy needs. Because your students still need books, we are working with educators across the country to create custom solutions that capitalize on their CARES funding and ensure book access and choice for students.

For many educators, this school year is a big […]

8 Tips to Make Read Alouds More Engaging

Reading aloud helps to develop a
child’s love of literature, increases their vocabulary and exposes them to a
wider variety of books. It is also an essential part of building crucial
literacy skills from preschool all the way to middle school. In addition,
reading to your students is a fun and effective way to connect with them.

So, what can you do […]

By |May 27th, 2020|Read Alouds|0 Comments

Our Top 10 Favorite Read Alouds for Any Age

Reading aloud to children is one of the most important things adults can do. It builds foundational language skills, introduces vocabulary, provides a model of fluent, expressive reading and helps children recognize what reading for pleasure is all about.

Next time you’re looking for a great book to read aloud, try one of our favorites, from gentle picture books for little ones to poetry to […]

By |April 14th, 2020|Read Alouds|1 Comment

10 Ways Teachers Are Using Nonfiction Science Books During Reading Instruction

With today’s emphasis on literacy instruction in the early grades, elementary teachers often wonder how they can make time to teach science. Instead of sacrificing instructional time for science so teachers can spend more time in reading instruction, why not use nonfiction texts to combine science objectives with reading instruction?

We asked classroom teachers to share with us how they are integrating […]

By |March 11th, 2020|Content Areas|0 Comments

Booksource Makes It Easier to Teach Science & Literacy Together

Booksource has proudly launched our Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Boxed Sets for grades K-2. These Boxed Sets support current NGSS curriculum and can be used to help teachers incorporate more nonfiction and science content area reading into daily instruction.

Why did we create the NGSS Boxed Sets?

Did you know that current research shows that […]

By |January 31st, 2020|Content Areas, STEM|0 Comments

Our Top 5 Takeaways from NSTA 2019

Booksource exhibited at NSTA’s national conference for the first time this year, and we had a blast! (NSTA is the National Science Teachers Association, for those of you who can’t keep up with all the education conferences and their acronyms.) We spend a lot of time talking literacy with the ELA crowd, so this was […]

By |April 18th, 2019|Content Areas|0 Comments

The Power of Book Access: Why I Take My Students to the Public Library Every Year

Recently, I was presenting on books, children and teaching at the Virginia Reading Association Conference. I was brainstorming with other teachers, trying to think of ways to get books for their students. Of course, the public library came up. You know how sometimes we can operate in a bubble? When a teacher stated that she […]

By |February 14th, 2019|Independent Reading|0 Comments

How I Reimagined the Whole Class Novel and Transformed My Students Into Readers

Thank you to high school English teacher Jacqueline Stallworth for sharing how a shift in her thinking on the whole class novel helped engage her students as readers!

I started teaching a VERY LONG TIME ago, and I was teaching books that I thought were “good literature,” because they were novels in the traditional, literary canon. I remember […]

By |November 7th, 2018|Independent Reading|3 Comments

Literacy Matters: How One Teacher’s Perspective was Changed by Implementing Intentional Instruction

By: Anika Perry

Edited by: Kimberly Johnson and Roderick Perry

My first year of teaching had come to an end and just as most teachers, I eagerly went online to check my Georgia Milestones (GMAS) results. The GMAS are accountability exams for all public school students in grades 3-12 in Georgia. I quickly typed away, barely containing […]

By |September 21st, 2018|Balanced Literacy Instruction|0 Comments