Because of a Book, a Scientist

By Lola M. Schaefer, author of Because of an Acorn (Chronicle Books, 2016)

I still remember the first book that excited me about science. I was eight years old and the title was Insects. It wasn’t a field guide, but an illustrated children’s book all about the bugs in my backyard: katydids, ladybugs, moths, beetles, butterflies […]

By |October 27th, 2016|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

Watch Out for Flying Kids! Booksource Interviews Author Cynthia Levinson

It’s not every day that I come across a book that truly expands my world. Watch Out for Flying Kids (Grades 5-9) did just that, and I am grateful. You see, part of this poignant story takes place in my own hometown, St. Louis, Missouri, and was published at a time when I needed this story most. […]

By |October 29th, 2015|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

A Booksource Banter Exclusive: Q and A with Author Sarah Albee on Her New Book Why’d They Wear That?

(Grades 5-8)

What inspired you to write Why’d They Wear That?

Many of my books become “parents” to the next one. In my Poop Happened (Grades 5-9) book, I had a chapter about so-called “filth diseases,” and realized that certain of those diseases—such as typhus, plague, malaria, even sometimes typhoid and dysentery–were vectored by insects. I […]

By |June 30th, 2015|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

Get to Know Favorite Authors with Video Interviews

As an avid reader, I devour a spectrum of books that range from thrilling to lackluster. When I find a story that captivates me, I hold on tight. These types of stories usually have beautifully written language, engrossing storylines and strong characters. Once a book has me hooked, I search for more works by that […]

By |June 4th, 2015|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

A Day with Patricia Polacco

I love my job most days, but there are some days that really stand out. A couple of weeks ago, I experienced one of those days.

Each spring and fall, Teachers College Reading and Writing Project at Columbia University hosts a Saturday Reunion where educators from all over the country are invited to participate in inspirational […]

By |April 23rd, 2015|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

Daniel Handler: An Evening of Pirates and Poetry

Daniel Handler, author of Printz Honor recipient Why We Broke Up and perhaps best known by his pseudonym, Lemony Snicket, and his Series of Unfortunate Events, visited the St. Louis County Library on Friday, February 13, to promote his newest novel for adults, We Are Pirates.

A few of us at Booksource gathered to watch him […]

By |March 2nd, 2015|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

Booksource Interview: Author Brad Meltzer Talks about His New Biography Series for Early Childhood

Brad Meltzer is now writing books for kids! Best known for his bestselling thrillers for adults, Brad Meltzer has also written bestselling nonfiction, advice and comic books. (Did you know he is the host of the History Channel’s Decoded too?) Booksource had the opportunity to interview this multi-talented guy about his latest endeavor—a new picture […]

By |November 19th, 2014|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

Poet Spotlight: Paul B. Janeczko – The Possibilities of Poetry

By Paul B. Janeczko, Poet and Anthropologist

I love to visit schools and talk to young readers and writers about poetry. These visits give me the chance to preach. And I love to preach. I love to preach about the possibilities of poetry. I find that too many readers, of all ages, have a very narrow […]

By |May 29th, 2014|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments

Author Interview with Graphic Novelist Jim Ottaviani

Your graphic novels are unique in that they all focus on the history of different topics in science. What is it about this subject matter that lends itself so well to graphic novels?

This is a question I’m asked often, and it’s one I like because I get to suggest an experiment. Go to your local […]

By |May 20th, 2014|Author Posts + Interviews|0 Comments