Michelle Abeln

About Michelle Abeln

Michelle Abeln works in Collection Development at Booksource. She’s always loved a good mystery. When she was younger, she wanted to be Nancy Drew. Now that she’s getting a little older, she’s hoping to be Miss Marple.

The Girl Who Drank the Moon: A 2017 Newbery Award Winner Giveaway!

To those who follow children’s literature, the fact that The Girl Who Drank the Moon (Grades 5-9) won the Newbery Award for best children’s fiction didn’t come as a complete surprise. This children’s fantasy novel racked up seven starred reviews and was on numerous ‘best of’ lists before the ALA announced their Youth Media winners […]

By |March 16th, 2017|Book Recommendation, Contests and Freebies, Feature|0 Comments

Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

Although not originally intended only for children, fairy tales have had a prominent place in children’s literature for centuries. With their fantastic, magical elements and plot lines that support character education and social and emotional learning, fairy tales in the classroom can introduce students to history, international settings, critical literacy skills and more.
Fairy Tales Teach […]

By |January 3rd, 2017|Book Recommendation, Elementary, Feature, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on Build Student Literacy and Reading Skills with These 14 Not-So-Traditional Fairy Tales

Booksource Book Club Reads The Nest by Kenneth Oppel

Booksource Book Club invites you to read along with us! This month we gathered to talk about The Nest by Kenneth Oppel. The Nest is a suspenseful horror story that will keep young readers on the edge of their seats. I reviewed The Nest last year (it was one of my favorite books of the […]

By |March 15th, 2016|Book Recommendation, Booksource Book Club, Contests and Freebies, Feature, Middle School|Comments Off on Booksource Book Club Reads The Nest by Kenneth Oppel

And the Winners Are…The 2016 ALA Youth Media Award Winners

On Monday, January 11, ALA announced their 2016 Youth Media Award Winners. As usual, some of the winners were expected, but there were some surprises as well. Did your favorites win?

A full list of award, honor and medal winners can be found here.

2016 Newbery Medal Winner:

Last Stop on Market Street, written by Matt de la […]

By |January 13th, 2016|Book Recommendation, Elementary, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on And the Winners Are…The 2016 ALA Youth Media Award Winners

More than the Newbery and Caldecott: The ALA Youth Media Awards

It’s that time of year again: awards season! ALA will be announcing their annual Youth Media Awards on Monday, January 11 (set you alarms because it starts early this year, at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time. If you’re unable to attend the midwinter meetings in Boston, you can stream the live webcast here.).

ALA’s Youth Media Awards […]

By |January 9th, 2016|Book Recommendation, Elementary, Feature, High School, Middle School|Comments Off on More than the Newbery and Caldecott: The ALA Youth Media Awards

Don’t Get Stung! A Review of The Nest, by Kenneth Oppel

Cover image credit: HarperCollins Canada

“The first time I saw them, I thought they were angels…”

The Nest (Grades 5-8, Lexile: 640), the new psychological horror story by Canadian author Kenneth Oppel, is, hands down, my favorite book of the year.

Twelve-year-old Steve is home for the summer, but he isn’t able to enjoy his time off: his […]

By |December 15th, 2015|Book Recommendation, Feature, Middle School, Scout Awards|Comments Off on Don’t Get Stung! A Review of The Nest, by Kenneth Oppel

The True Story of a Friendship That Spans Cultures and Continents

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives (Grades 7-12, Lexile: 790) is a powerful and emotional story of friendship.

This dual memoir is told from the perspectives of Caitlin, an upper middle class sixth grader from the suburbs of Pennsylvania, and Martin, a young man from the slums of Zimbabwe. The two […]

By |October 14th, 2015|Book Recommendation, High School, Middle School, Scout Awards|Comments Off on The True Story of a Friendship That Spans Cultures and Continents

Popular Star Wars Series AND a Giveaway!

Join padawans and Jedis alike as we celebrate Star Wars Reads Day on October 10 (October 9 in schools).

It’s hard to believe, but it’s been almost 40 years (40!) since the first Star Wars movie was released in theaters and interest in the franchise hasn’t waned a bit since. With a new movie scheduled […]

By |October 5th, 2015|Book Recommendation, Contests and Freebies, Elementary, Middle School|Comments Off on Popular Star Wars Series AND a Giveaway!

Stand up to Bullying with These Titles

Bullying has been in the national spotlight for years, but unfortunately incidents don’t seem to be on the decline. The titles below offer opportunities for students of all ages to find support and strategies on counteracting bullying.

Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry (Grades P-3)

We’ve already mentioned Stick and Stone in a Banter review this year, […]

Be Who You Are: Booksource Book Club Reads George

Booksource Book Club invites you to read along with us. Every month or so (depending on the size of the book) a group of us book nerds gathers to talk about a book we’ve all read. Now we want you to join in the fun! We’ll start by giving you an update of our last […]

By |June 29th, 2015|Book Recommendation, Booksource Book Club, Elementary, Middle School, Scout Awards|Comments Off on Be Who You Are: Booksource Book Club Reads George