As an avid reader, I devour a spectrum of books that range from thrilling to lackluster. When I find a story that captivates me, I hold on tight. These types of stories usually have beautifully written language, engrossing storylines and strong characters. Once a book has me hooked, I search for more works by that particular author, knowing I will like the style of writing and genre.

I also find myself going down a tunnel of searches of the authors themselves to try to uncover just what makes their brains tick. What is their writing process? Who or what has inspired the creativity expressed in their work? Does the author use their favorite city as the backdrop in most of their stories? What has a character been up to since the book was published? Discovering nuggets of information and applying what I learn as I read more from this author excites me. The knowledge adds a more well-rounded experience fleshed out with little details. For example, J.K. Rowling is known for adding more to the storylines of the Harry Potter series through interviews, and other authors also like to drop little extra pieces of information for their devoted followers.

If you or your students or kids are just as curious about the authors behind favorite stories, dive deeper into these author interviews we’ve rounded up. You may just find surprising facts that will enhance your reading experience next time you pick up one of their novels.

Jacqueline Woodson

Laurie Halse Anderson

Tom Angleberger

Gary Paulsen